Sunday, February 19, 2006

Things Fall Apart


One tradition of the clan I did not like was the fact that a person had to be exiled for killing a clans member inadvertently. I think that Okonkwo did not deserve this punishment. I also found it sad that Obierka had to burn down Okonkwo's entire compound to "cleanse the village of the sin." And also, how does a gun explode going right throught he heart of a boy?
Another thing I disliked was the concept of Agbala. Okonkwo's father had been called Agbala, a woman, a man with no title. In that day, women, as portrayed by the book, had not much to do and thus they called a lazy man Agbala. However, I liked Uchendu's explanation fo a woman's role in life, and why the most common name was Nneka, Mother is Supreme. It was because your mother is there to protect you, when there is sorrow or grief, a man finds refuge in his motherland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home