Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Joy Luck Club


I have began reading The Joy Luck Club and have finished reading a few of the stories. In the beginning, they were boring but as I read on, I came to enjoy the stories. At first I was confused about how the stories were written, but after reading other classmates' blogs and observing the setting, I found out that each alternate story was form China and America.

"Your father was not my first husband. You were not my first babies."
~ This was one of the quotes that struck out to me while I was reading this book. It portrays how hard it must have been on people when the Japanese had arrived that they had to let go of their own children to save themselves.

"And when I arrived, I realized how shabby my dreams were, how poor my thoughts. When I saw the hills, I laughed..."
~ I think that the fact that she laughed showed that she was sad, full of grief. It was also sad how the people who had heard the great stories of Kweilin were so disappointed to see Kweilin when they finally arrived.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home