Sunday, April 30, 2006

Joy Luck Club



I finished the first chapter, Feathers From A Thousand Li Away. SO far, I think the stories in this book are interesting. It is different to learn about other cultures. My favorite story was "The Red Candle". I think the red candle itself symbolized the customs and culture of a traditional Chinese marriage. There is a wick at each end of the candle with the name of Lindo Jong and her husband. The candle primarily symbloizes the traditions of a marrige, but also Lindo's self control over her marriage. zI think that the fact that it symbloizes the traditions first is because if it didn't, than there would be no meaning to Lindo blowing it out and thus ending her unhappy marriage.
I also enjoyed the "Joy Luck Club." It gave a perspective of Chinese culture form America. I liked to
learn about the game of mah jong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home