Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Joy Luck Club

Of the second stories, I liked "The Voice From the Wall." I think that this story portrayed that the mother was becoming paranoid and a little crazy. She was very over protected of her child. I agree with some of the other blogs of my classmates that she was becoming this because America was full of crazy people who did anything.
One quote that really struck me in this story was,
"
And after that I began to see terrible things. I saw these things with my Chinese eyes, the part of me I got from my mother. I saw devils dancing feverishly beneath
a hole that I had dug in the sandbox. I saw that lightning had eyes and searched to
strike down little children. I saw a beetle wearing the face of a child, which I promptly squashed with the wheel of my tricycle. And when I he came older I could see things that
Caucasian girls at school did not. Monkey rings that would splist into two and send swinging children hurtling through space. Tether balls that could splash a girl's head all over the playground in front of laughing children.


I think the main line from this quote stated that she saw all of those things with her Chinese eyes, the part she inherited from her mother. I think this is showing that it was because of her mother she was seeing these things. Her mother had told her about a story of her great grandfather whom had sentenced a beggar to death. She told her about how he was embraced with the the jagged pieces of his arm. In addition, Lena had gone inside a barricaded door in her old house and had fallen into a dark chasm. Her mother told her that if she hadn't come to rescue her, she would have been in great danger because of the evil man who lived there. After this, she began to see those terrible things. It was her mother who had gotten all these deathlike things into her head in the first place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home